Friday, November 23, 2012

Week 4 - Happy Thanksgiving!



Oh my goodness, how time flies when you’re having fun!
I just love being a missionary! This is just amazing!

On Saturday, Sister McKnight and I went for a walk, out to see the
light house.


I said to her, “Are we on a mission or a vacation?” 


The ocean is so beautiful with every color of blue in it. Heavenly Father
has used every color to create this wonderful world that we live in.
His paint palette must be endless. The waves would break on the
volcanic rock causing the water to change from this beautiful blue to
the most exquisite white that I have ever seen. 


Water can be so pretty, either as a wave or with the glistening sun shinning on it. 


We enjoyed walking around the light house and watching life in Cape Verde.

I can't hold back from saying hi to everyone. They are so kind and
warm. I can hardly wait for my Portuguese to improve so that I can
communicate better with them. Oh how I love these people! Even on our
free time I share the gospel. There was a young boy that asked for
some money. I started asking him if he knew about the church. He said
no, but right at that time, another young man that is in my branch was
passing by and he spoke a little English. I invited him to be a
missionary and teach this young boy with the help of the missionaries.
He smiled so big with his pearly white teeth and beautiful smile. He
is 18 and could be leaving on a mission but I don't know because of
the little Portuguese I can speak.

Another day, I met this little girl in the clinic while waiting for
one of my missionaries. She came over and pushed me, so I pushed her
back. I think she was in shock. Then I tickled her and she had the
cutest giggle. Then she pointed at my lips and said "bonito"
(beautiful). I had lipstick on, so I took out my lipstick and put some
on her lips and showed her how to rub her lips together and then I
said "bonito". She grinned and turned around and showed her mom.


I think everyone in the clinic was in shock (safe place to be, right?)
but all were intrigued by this little girl that was so full of love
and spunk. I try to always carry candy in my purse and on this day it
was a good thing because there was a long wait at the clinic and the
candy kept the children happy. I might make a new name for myself…
“the white candy lady”… or something like that.

This is the place to come if you love fish; Fresh every day. But since
I got sick after eating some, at a place that was a little sketchy, I
won't be partaking of anymore fish for a while.

Oh, how I love my Heavenly Father, and my Savior for showing me the
way by His example in the scriptures of how to be a true disciple. I
know my Savior lives. I am so grateful for Joseph Smith and his
enduring to the end so that we could have this great book, The Book of
Mormon. I want to say thank you to those of you who have helped me in
any way to be here on a mission. I know that I would not be here
without you and without my Savior. May God bless you all! There is
much work to be done here and I am so, so, humbled to serve my Savior
and these beautiful Cape Verdeans. They are my brothers and sisters,
as well as all of you, and I love all of you with all of my heart.

I found out today that my son Taylor, and Sophie are going to have a
BOY! It will be very hard to not be there but one thing I know for
sure; God blesses us when we make sacrifices.
Congratulations Tay Tay.

I leave this with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you. Happy Thanksgiving to you. We are glad you are loving it! You do wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to hear from you. What a great experience you are having. You look so happy!

    ReplyDelete